mattb

Dec 8, 2017
Hi, just received my new T8SE and seem to be having problems with iPlayer. No matter whether I watch via iPlayer www on Kodi or directly via the iPlayer Android app, the picture seems to be jumpy. No pixelation or anything like that, just seems to miss a frame or two so the picture is not smooth.
It's not an Internet bandwidth issue - I get 76mbps downstream and if I watch iPlayer on any other device (laptop, iPhone, Galaxy S7) the picture is perfect. So it must be the Droidbox.....

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is...?

Thanks,
Matt

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Just in case, try the other iPlayer Kodi addon, catchup4kodi - https://github.com/catchup4kodi/catchup4kodi , it is included in some builds, not sure on the repo, hopefully others can assist here

I'd try altering the configuraiton of Kodi itself to change the refresh rate so the display and media matchup, try opening Kodi, click the cog towards the top left, Player Settings, Adjust display refresh rate, turn on . I've not got a T8 SE to test that on, but think it could make a difference.

If that works in Kodi, then to see if we can sort the Android app issue, head to Settings (normally two cogs on your Android launcher's homescreen), then look for Display or similar. From there, look for a reference to resolution and click on it. Turn off any automatic HDMI/resolution selection option, then try 1080p/4K (depending on your TV) at different refresh rates, then trying the iPlayer Android app again. If any modes you switch to stop the TV from showing a picture, don't press ANY keys for 10-20 seconds, it should automatically revert to the original mode/resolution/refresh rate.

Reactions: David Savage

mattb

Dec 8, 2017
Hi, just received my new T8SE and seem to be having problems with iPlayer. No matter whether I watch via iPlayer www on Kodi or directly via the iPlayer Android app, the picture seems to be jumpy. No pixelation or anything like that, just seems to miss a frame or two so the picture is not smooth.
It's not an Internet bandwidth issue - I get 76mbps downstream and if I watch iPlayer on any other device (laptop, iPhone, Galaxy S7) the picture is perfect. So it must be the Droidbox.....

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is...?

Thanks,
Matt
Thanks Chris. OK, so I tried changing settings for both Android and Kodi as you suggested but that hasn't made a difference.
I will try to download the alternative iPlayer for Kodi you suggested as soon as I can figure out how to get it.

Argggh - I'm so frustrated. I was excited to get my Droidbox and now I'm just irritated that it's unwatchable!

Any other suggestions very gratefully received! Maybe I'm doing something really dumb?

Matt

mattb

Dec 8, 2017
Hi, The alternative iPlayer is in the noobsandnerds repository.
Hi Angela,

Thanks. I followed online instructions to install the noobs and nerds repository. Adding the new source seemed to work but when I got to the stage of installing from the zip file, a notification pops up top right saying "Failed to install"......

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

mattb

Dec 8, 2017
Hi,
Yes I've checked the URL. If I go to install the addon I can see the zip file in the file manager, but when I try t install it that is when I get a failure message.
Any idea?
OK, I have progress..... it seems it wasn't possible to install the zip file without first being connected via VPN - as soon as I did that the zip file loaded successfully. Weird but it worked!
Thanks to everyone for their help to get this far. Have installed the alternative iPlayer and sadly it too seems to be jumpy, missing frames. Picture is very high quality and no issue with the sound quality, it's perfect and never skips, it's just the picture that still isn't right.......
Matt

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Is there another TV/monitor in the house that you could test this on? If it works OK on another display, we know to focus on the TV's settings... if playback is ok on a different model, let us know the make and model of the ORIGINAL TV and we'll check it out.