flaz

Aug 10, 2014
I have 150mb internet connection provided by Virgin Media. When I connect my T8 via WiFi I can only achieve a speed of 35mb. When I connect via Ethernet I can only achieve 20mb. Is there something in the settings I am missing as with speeds so low I'm experiencing buffering. My other devices on average achieve 120mb. I am wondering why are the T8 speeds so low?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I think the wifi gubbins in the t8 are not the best. That said, to view hd movies you only need around 8mb. So you have plenty left to spare. For wifi see if you can switch to the 5g channel on your router if you really really need a faster connection. The buffering may be at the server end rather than anything to do with your local connection.

flaz

Aug 10, 2014
I think the wifi gubbins in the t8 are not the best. That said, to view hd movies you only need around 8mb. So you have plenty left to spare. For wifi see if you can switch to the 5g channel on your router if you really really need a faster connection. The buffering may be at the server end rather than anything to do with your local connection.

flaz

Aug 10, 2014
I've tried the 5g it's exactly the same. It just seems a pity to be paying for a 150mb connection when the T8 restricts it to 35mb.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
But you probably don't need the extra so really it is nothing to worry about. I have the same virgin connection as you and the machine works fine with the limitation. As I said buffering is most likely at the server end, so getting the additional speed will make little or no difference.

Reactions: David Savage

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You'll not actually get more than 17-24Mbit from any public server to stream from that I've tested.
Newer firmware may boost the ethernet speed a little.
See an article I wrote on the topic here - https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/faq-2/w...-need-more-than-a-25mbit-internet-connection/ - if you'd like more background/screenshots to confirm.
Buffering is not going to be caused by the T8 if the server to your device connection is over 10Mbit (at least for 1080 streams, not had a 4K monitor to test 4k videos with).