Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
May sound stupid, but I have just noticed that the T8 Mini uses Hdmi 2.0 as opposed to the older spec. I only have the old type HDMI cables connected - used them for years!!

Will I see OR is there any advantage at all in upgrading? bearing in mind I do not have a 4k TV but all my ethernet is actually Gigabit and have a smart TV capable of playing the usual HD/Bluray etc

Any advice would be welcome - Thanks

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Some older cables will still do 4k, they are 1.4 which are on the T8-S plus. The T8mini has HDMI 2.0 which is for 4k with 10 bit HDR. To get that you will need super fast Internet speeds, plus don't think there's any content out there with this.
For full HD most cables work...

Reactions: sblabs

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
4K at 60Hz and HDR I think are the benefits of using an HDMI 2.0 cable (other benefits on the renderer, but don't know if VP9@60FPS and similar would be any different, cable wise, to the general 4K at 60 capability), so as your TV isn't 4K, don't think it'll make a difference. A bit like network cables rated at 100Mbit but can handle gigabit, sometimes you can be lucky with underspecced cables still performing well.