sean99

Aug 7, 2014
When I purchased the T8-S Plus I got a 1 TB Hdd to put in it, not to d/l to but just to save android files/games to etc to not clog up the internal memory. Not sure but think I need root permission to do this as when using es file explorer when trying to copy files from internal memory (downloads) the task always fails, even when copying to a memory stick. How do I get root permission to do this peeps? TIA.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for that as I presumed the T8-S Plus would be rooted, does this mean to transfer any files to an ext hdd or to use my 1tb to d/l games/files to it has to be rooted?

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for that as I presumed the T8-S Plus would be rooted, does this mean to transfer any files to an ext hdd or to use my 1tb to d/l games/files to it has to be rooted?
Hi

Weather root is required for HDD or not sometimes may wary from the HDD format itself.

Anyway there is SuperSU app which can you use to assign root access to ES file explorer app in order to make sure that it will work properly.

Regards

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for that but does anyone know how I can save files to this hdd as file explorer is granted permissions by super su but will not even recognise a memory stick now.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Also all the T8 and T8s users wanting to upgrade from kitkat to lollipop (of which I was 1) don't rush into it as the latter in my opinion sucks! Would downgrade at the drop of a hat if was an option:(

Last edited:
Reactions: David Savage

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Any admin around to guide me on this matter? I formatted a 1tb hdd in openelec and cannot now be used on the android side now. Regret doing this as I don't want to download any stream (what's the point with the access to any TV show/movie or sport event with kodi anyways) am just after using it as a storage device android side only. Can the openelec format be reversed or formatted fat32 elsewhere?? Help needed pls

shah nissar

Android Tv Expert
Mar 30, 2015
If you formatted with the proper instructions you should be able to use it on both sides. Please check the video below on how to properly:

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Cheers I had formatted the hdd that way but wasn't able to find it with es file explorer. Sorted now as the path is device/storage/udisk0 am able to copy and paste to this drive now, thanks again :)

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
I thought I can copy and paste to the drive but it says task failed each time I try to. The only 2 files on the hdd are dbcloud and lost +found. I created a link to the hdd when I found it in es f explorer and started moving storage to there but they were only going into the link as task fails when trying to copy to the hdd path, any clues would help thanks.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OK, let's see where we differ (I'm not at all sure about creating a shortcut and copying to that...)

Turn on T8-S Plus, boot as normal into Android, open ES File Explorer application

Navigate to a device/network location/local folder and long click on a test file to tick it
Select the Copy button at the bottom
Expand the LOCAL menu on the left, and in my case click on "udisk0"
Navigate to the folder I want to create the file in, and then click the PASTE icon
It then asks me to open the location a certain way, I close the next window and the file pastes in
I've rebooted and the file is still there and can be opened

I've tested moving files within the hard drive, and also cut and pasting a file away from the hard drive, and all seemed OK.
When you get a chance, could you follow the above step by step and see where your experience/routine differs.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Just had a quick thought, I normally turn on Root mode in ES File Explorer, that may differ from your setup. Can you expand the TOOLS menu in ES File Explorer and turn on the Root mode, then try copying again (same procedure as my last post above, this is assuming that doesn't work without further tweaking!).

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Bingo!! Ur the man ss!! Was the root explorer being off and always have an error when ide enabled it and it disabled itself. Was using an older version of es f explorer (didn't like the white new 1 as hard to navigate round) but bit the bullet and updated it and the hdd is now working as it should.:)

Reactions: ChrisM and Qaisir